All products featured are independently chosen by us. However, SoundGuys may receive a commission on orders placed through its retail links. See our ethics statement.
Best AirPods Max cases and covers
The Apple AirPods Max is as expensive as consumer headphones get, and if you’re going to splurge that much on headphones, you’d be wise to pick up a durable carrying case. Apple’s Smart Case has a silly design and just doesn’t cut it when it comes to protecting your investment. We scoured the internet for the best AirPods Max cases to keep your new headphones scratch-free.
Editor’s note: this list of the best AirPods Max cases was updated on July 20, 2023, to add the Anker USB-C 65W Charger to the Notable mentions and to update formatting.
Why is the co2CREA Hard Carrying Case the best AirPods Max case for most people?
Apple’s included Smart Case is no match for the books, keys, and assortment of miscellaneous items in your bag, which is where the co2CREA Hard Carrying Case comes in. This zippered case is simple, durable, and it has ample room to store the headphones while sheathed in the proprietary Smart Case. You can even fit a power brick in the center of the case, below the headband.
co2CREA’s case is shock, dust, and water resistant, so you can take it anywhere without needing to babysit your headset. Its anti-static lining is nice and does a fine job of repelling lint and hair. The case may not be made from the finest materials, but it gets the job done, and looks good in one of five colors to match. Finally, the external handle makes it easy to fish out of your bag.
Go ballistic with the Urban Armor Gear protective case for AirPods Max
This molded protective case from Urban Armor Gear comes in black or olive ballistic nylon outer shell. Inside you’ll find a couple of pockets for cables and chargers. A handy magnetic strap ensures that your AirPods Max won’t rattle around within the case, even if you drop it.
Urban Armor Gear claims the Ration Protective case is weatherproof, although, even with internally lined zippers you probably don’t want to test that too rigorously with your pricey AirPods Max. You can send the headphones into sleep mode with, or without the Apple covers, which the case can accommodate too. If you like (or don’t mind) the overbuilt look, it’s one of the best for its secure protection of your AirPods Max.
The Yinke Smart Case does more than just protect
The Yinke Smart Case retails for under $40 USD. The internal mold is precisely cut to accommodate Apple’s headphones, and Yinke leaves plenty of room below the headband for you to store a power brick and cable. As an intelligently conceived case it balances the need to store your headphones with protection at a good price.
Velvet lines the interior of this water- and shock-resistant case, and the double-zipper enclosure gives you a bit of flexibility when you close or open the case. Yinke’s case puts the headset into sleep mode to conserve battery power, but as is a pattern among AirPods Max cases, the success rate isn’t great. However, you can finagle the AirPods Max and Apple Smart Case into Yinke’s case to ensure the headset enters sleep mode.
Keep things organized with the Spigen Klasden Designed for AirPods Max Carrying Case
This case is on the larger end of the size spectrum, but it’s decked out with protective materials to keep your expensive headphones safe. As a custom-molded design for the AirPods Max, it can fit the Smart Case too. Be aware: when you store the AirPods Max without the Smart Case, they may wiggle around a bit here.
What makes the Spigen Klasden unique is that the reinforced external carry loop can quickly hook around a carabiner or any kind of attachment system. Inside, there’s a “hidden” panel that you can use to store cables or anything small enough, really. It’s not as rugged as some of the others on the list, but it’s cheaper too. The case is fairly slim and is easy to slide into a backpack or suitcase, but it’s a bit wide if you don’t plan to add other accessories.
Use the Spigen Ultra Hybrid PRO to prevent headphone scratches
One of the draws to the AirPods Max is its minimalist, clean design but the headset is subject to scratches and scuffs like anything else. Spigen protects your investment while you use it with its Ultra Hybrid PRO ear cup covers, which aren’t a full-blown case.
These protectors are transparent and designed to resist abrasion and discoloration, so your headphones will look good for longer. When you go to sheathe the AirPods Max in the proprietary Smart Case, or in any one of these listed cases, you can keep Spigen’s headphone protectors installed. You still get full access to the Digital Crown and Noise Control button with these shields and they’re easy to snap off when you need to clean them.
The best AirPods Max cases and covers: Notable mentions
While a new case is definitely in the cards for a lot of AirPods Max owners, you might also benefit from a few accessories.
- Fintie Silicone Case Covers for Apple AirPods Max: This handy set includes silicone covers for your earcups and for your headband to match. It’s a cheap ( $11 at Amazon ) and useful investment to prevent scratches, bumps, and dust.
- Geekria Shield Headphones Case: Designed to fit your AirPods Max, this no nonsense, slim case lacks a handle, but has some internal storage. This one is meant to slip inside another container, like your backpack or suitcase for $21 at Amazon.
- ProCase Hard Case for AirPods Max: One of the cheaper options out there ($349 at Amazon), it’s water resistant, although it does not have as much protective reinforcement along the headband as say, the Urban Armor Gear case. You get a set of included covers for the ear cups, which is good for the money.
- SaharaCase Travel Carry Case for Apple AirPods Max: This robust case has a good amount of protection around the entire headset. A sturdy and grippy handle ensures you won’t drop it either. As a trade off, it’s quite large, but the subtle nondescript design is nice for $38 at Amazon.
What about other Apple AirPods Max accessories?
As minimal as the Apple designs are, to truly get the most out of your AirPods Max check out some (arguably) necessary accessories. Alongside a case and covers, these will help prolong the life and expand the usefulness of your AirPods Max.
- Apple Lighting to 3.5mm Audio Cable: This is the official way to convert your wireless AirPods Max into wired. The cable is not super robust, but at least it’s compatible with the AirPods Max, which is not true for a lot of third party Lightning to 3.5mm cables. Pick it up for on the product’s website.
- Anker USB-C Charger 65W: For $59.99 at Anker you get lots of connectivity and quick charging, including for your AirPods Max and MacBook Pro.
- SUPERONE Versatile Headphone Stand & Hanger: One of the few headphone stands we can recommend for the AirPods Max, because it rests the headset on its side. You don’t want to hang the AirPods Max for long periods by the headband, because it’ll stretch out the mesh. Take a look for $15 at Amazon.
- Twelve South AirFly Pro Wireless Transmitter/Receiver: You bought AirPods Max because you don’t want to plug in your headphones to listen to audio. Unfortunately, the rest of the world hasn’t caught up, but you can plug this Bluetooth transmitter and receiver into your media player’s 3.5mm output and still go wireless, plus it’s useful on planes for $49 at Amazon.
What you should know about AirPods Max cases and covers
Not all headphone cases are created equal, and AirPods Max cases need to, well, fit your AirPods Max. Some people may want to use the Smart Case within the third-party case, and not every option can accommodate this. You also want to think about how you intend to carry the headset. Do you plan to clip it onto the outside of a bag? If so, then you’ll want a case with a carry handle that you can attach a carabiner to. If you plan to stow it inside a backpack at all times, the carry handle becomes less important.
Be sure to consider your personal style and how much risk you’re willing to take with your AirPods Max. Those who want a minimal degree of protection for their AirPods Max at all times may opt to purchase AirPods Max headphone covers, rather than a case. The headphone shields keep your headset slim and protected. You sacrifice overall protection though, since this won’t prevent damage to the headband or ear pads. Of course, you could go the most extreme route and deck your AirPods Max out with some protective covers and buy a carrying case.
Why you should trust SoundGuys
SoundGuys makes sure to test every audio product that comes out way, subjecting each set of headphones to a battery of objective tests for battery life, isolation, microphone quality, and frequency response. We lay the facts bare here at SoundGuys in order to make your buying decision easier, and if we make a mistake, we own up to it.
We don’t just rely on data to inform our recommendations, though; our tests take audio products into the real world to see how they perform on a day-to-day basis. This means we exercise with workout earbuds and commute with noise canceling headphones to give readers a holistic illustration of how a given product performs.
Frequently asked questions about AirPods Max covers and cases
If you have Apple Care, you may be able to get a replacement. Otherwise, you can get a headband cover such as this one. Also, taking pains to not hang your AirPods Max by the headband will help keep its shape long term.